Tag Archives: remodeling

It’s the beginning of a new year, ice storm cleanup, and pruning fruit trees and bushes

Hi Everyone, it’s 2018! Can you believe it? Time is moving faster and faster as I age, so there is no time like the present to get things done. This last week of vacation was spent finishing up some work down in the bathroom we’re remodeling (re-working the electrical for the new locations of switches and outlets).

After completing the indoor work it was time to move outside and cleanup broken branches from trees surrounding our backyard after the ice/snow storm from Christmas day (nothing fell into the fruit trees so that was good), but our green stripe bamboo by our lower deck lost a number of the 2 inch diameter 30ft canes. That’s ok, I needed some of these larger canes for this springs project at the new stair-step garden boxes. 🙂
As part of this cleanup I trimmed all of our fruit trees (general shaping and thinning). We’ve also started the shaping of one of the full size pears into an espalier with horizontal branches. I’ve wanted to do something like this for a while to see how it turns out as far as earlier fruit production (this is like the french method of forced limb drooping so the tree thinks its reached optimal height and the limbs are ready to start baring fruit).

Well keep this update short as I need to finish getting the Youtube videos up (PnB Homesteading Youtube Channel) and get things packed up for the return to work after a relaxing few weeks at home with Paula.

Have a great first week of 2018! 🙂

Set root to the propagated minions, hauled demo’d sheetrock, and harvested mineral packed veggies

Hey everyone, it’s been another busy few weeks on the homestead. Lets get right to the details of our accomplishments:

  • Set root to the propagated minions
  • Hauled demo’d sheetrock and took measurements, and leveled bathroom floor
  • Harvested mineral packed veggies and dehydrating
  • Christmas eve ice storm
  • Youtube videos

Continue reading

Bathroom demo work…

Hey everyone, this weekend is a short update as I spent the majority of it inside doing demo work on the old masterbathroom downstairs. I’ve gotten all the sheetrock ripped out (except ceiling which might also come out if needed for fan duct work or electrical).

It’s coming along, next will be heading to the home improvement stores to see what kind of tub and standup shower basin we’ll be installing. 🙂

Next weekend will be harvesting greens from inside our grow tents and planting the verigated weigala and red currants out in the yard that we propagated this past summer (burrrrrrr it’s been cold!). 🙂

Have a great week everyone!