Tag Archives: remodeling

Summer of bounty, The Great 2018 Vehicle Swap, and Gathering your harvest for canning and dehydration…get ready for our decade annual winter storms

Hey everyone! Sorry for the lack of blogging for over a month…Paula and I have been just buried with veggie production of squash, tomatoes (oh man the amount of tomatoes), and cucumbers.

Summer of bounty
Here’s some quick details for what we’re doing with our 2018 garden bounty:

  • We’ve dehydrated about 10 quart jars of tomatoes (Montesino F1 grape and Matt’s Wild cherry).
  • Paula also started dehydrating our squash; she’s spiraled and cubed to test which dehydrates better (I think she likes the spiralized since they really compress down nicely for storing with our vacuum food saver).
  • We’ve had so many of the Matt’s Wild cherry tomatoes we have been just grabbing them by the bunch, stripping them from the vines and tossing into the food dehydrator trays.
  • Paula has canned approximately 20 pint jars of tomato ketchup using our Crimson Sprinter, Moskvich, and Pink Boar tomatoes. I have to note that the Pink Boar has a rich smokey taste that is to die for! Wow…I cannot believe how good of ketchup this makes. Paula gets definite gold-star for her efforts here. 🙂
  • The eggplants are the only disappointment for 2018; with the rabbit eating 4 of them off at the base before I was able to trap it and relocate to a nearby park. We really had lack luster performance. I think next year I’ll put these in a garden box with only our low growing plants like cabbage and broccoli. Having them mixed with our squash and sunflowers meant they had to fight for every scrap of sunshine, which meant all their efforts were spent trying to grow instead of setting fruit. Live and learn, next year we know to isolate them.

Continue reading

Garden hits its stride and harvesting the bounty!

Hey Everyone, we’ve been busy here on the urban homestead with planting our succession plants like cabbage and kale getting ready for that next phase in the gardens…fall. It’s hard to think about that right now with the temperatures in the mid-90s, but without the planning now we’d run low on fresh greens outdoors…before we transition back to having 100% of the greens grown on the urban homestead from the indoor grow tents.

Most of the efforts lately have been focused on the Youtube videos and getting those post-processed (meaning I’m fumbling my way through editing with kdenlive and audacity both free software on Ubuntu Linux). It’s fun to learn these new things about normalizing and equalization of the audio tracks, but time consuming. I’m not complaining though…if we want more viewers on our channel we need to put in the effort to make the best videos possible. 🙂

Here’s a link to the Youtube channel (or you could just click the link from the main menu at the top of the page: PnB Homesteading Youtube Channel

Weekly weekend harvest of our homestead bounty
Quick update, are these 2 pictures of our garden harvest for the weekend. We haven’t included pickin any of the cucumbers since Paula will be canning a bunch of those this week and doing the harvest too early will allow them to get “rubbery” if you know what I mean. It’s best to have them fresh as possible so we get that freshest crunch once they’re canned. Anyway, I’m rambling again…here’s the picture:  Continue reading

Water from the gods, givin the fruit trees a treatment, and general urban homestead duties

Hey Everyone, It’s been a busy two weeks. I didn’t get a chance to post to the blog last week (sorry about that). But here’s what we got done this weekend:

  • Chop-n-drop more comfrey
  • Installed new sprinkler (and removed old drip lines)
  • Bend Asian Pear limbs to shape
  • Stake apple tree
  • Next round of foliar/fungal treatment for peach trees
  • Compost tea feeding of fruit trees
  • Setup shade cloth over deck garden boxes
  • Installed new bean trellis in the clover patch

Continue reading

New bean hutches, harvesting worm compost, new changes to the salad bar led, and the bathroom remodel continues

Hey Everyone, I worked on a few projects this weekend: a few new bean hutches, harvesting worm compost, reworking the layout of the salad bar led grow/harvest area, and the continued bathroom remodel.

The new bean hutch ideas are something I came up with at the end of the season last year, but wanted to wait until it was closer to this years spring season. We’ll that lasted until this weekend when the sun popped out and we had a seasonably warm day in the low-mid 50s…Mr Green Jeans came out and I was itching to get out in the soil! 🙂

Continue reading