Hi Everyone, it’s 2018! Can you believe it? Time is moving faster and faster as I age, so there is no time like the present to get things done. This last week of vacation was spent finishing up some work down in the bathroom we’re remodeling (re-working the electrical for the new locations of switches and outlets).
After completing the indoor work it was time to move outside and cleanup broken branches from trees surrounding our backyard after the ice/snow storm from Christmas day (nothing fell into the fruit trees so that was good), but our green stripe bamboo by our lower deck lost a number of the 2 inch diameter 30ft canes. That’s ok, I needed some of these larger canes for this springs project at the new stair-step garden boxes. 🙂
As part of this cleanup I trimmed all of our fruit trees (general shaping and thinning). We’ve also started the shaping of one of the full size pears into an espalier with horizontal branches. I’ve wanted to do something like this for a while to see how it turns out as far as earlier fruit production (this is like the french method of forced limb drooping so the tree thinks its reached optimal height and the limbs are ready to start baring fruit).
Well keep this update short as I need to finish getting the Youtube videos up (PnB Homesteading Youtube Channel) and get things packed up for the return to work after a relaxing few weeks at home with Paula.
Have a great first week of 2018! 🙂
Hey everyone, it’s been another busy few weeks on the homestead. Lets get right to the details of our accomplishments:
- Set root to the propagated minions
- Hauled demo’d sheetrock and took measurements, and leveled bathroom floor
- Harvested mineral packed veggies and dehydrating
- Christmas eve ice storm
- Youtube videos
Hey everyone, I’m late again in getting my weekend post up. Paula is heading to California for her brothers wedding and I’m staying home to be “the dog whisperer”, so it’s been busy here on the urban homestead. 🙂
So…let’s get to what was done this weekend. First was harvesting the lettuce trays in our indoor grow tents. With this came the need for seeding 7 new trays of microgreens/lettuce. If you’ve been following along on our Youtube channel we were on our 2nd cut for many of these trays and they needed to head for the compost bin (aka our garden boxes). I’ve been taking these trays out and pulling out the contents and laying them on top of the garden boxes to see if I can still get some harvest out of them before the frosts drop them to the ground.
With the new trays seeded and ready to go in the grow tents it was time to finish raking the leaves around the yard (the rest of these came down while Paula and I were in Hawaii). So, with the garden boxes chopped-n-dropped it was time to bury them with a nice layer of leaves to keep the worms a little warmer and get the decomposition moving (albeit won’t be much until we start getting the warmth of spring, but what the heck why not get an early start).
The last outdoor project was getting up on the roof to do our last fall cleaning of the gutters as well as putting down a nice sprinkling of baking soda to kill off the worst friend a home owner can have in the Pacific NW….roof moss. Moss might be great on the forest floor, but letting it reside on our roofs is something you better take care of on a regular basis. Otherwise you’ll loose years of life and have to spend thousands on roof replacement. Wanting to use the least caustic method of killing the moss I’ve found that using baking soda changes the alkalinity where moss can’t survive. Our 90 year old neighbor uses Tide laundry detergent, but the thought of all that soapy residue hitting our water ways makes me a little uneasy so using something like baking soda (which is soda ash or sodium carbonate) makes me feel better. 🙂
Well this was a quick update for the weekend work, next weekend will be tackling the down stairs bathroom demo…so more Youtube video and pictures should be up for your enjoyment.
Have a great week and upcoming weekend everyone! 🙂
Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of posting a blog recently; things were pretty busy around here with fall arriving. From raking leaves into the garden beds and around the berry bushes (never waste free mulch :)) to cleaning out the gutters a number of times no spare minute was wasted. Here’s a list of things we finished over the last two weekends:
- New indoor herb plantings
- Addition to the automated watering system for indoor grow tent
- Cleaning gutters and the yard
- Installing new drip tray systems into the midsize grow tent as well as the salad bar led area
- Updating the hard drive in our security system server
- Feeding the worms
We’ll skip the details for these as Paula and I are preparing for our 7 day trip…to beautiful Maui! 🙂
Talk to you again once we return rejuvenated from the Hawaiian sun.