Hey everyone! Sorry for the lack of blogging for over a month…Paula and I have been just buried with veggie production of squash, tomatoes (oh man the amount of tomatoes), and cucumbers.
Summer of bounty Here’s some quick details for what we’re doing with our 2018 garden bounty:
We’ve dehydrated about 10 quart jars of tomatoes (Montesino F1 grape and Matt’s Wild cherry).
Paula also started dehydrating our squash; she’s spiraled and cubed to test which dehydrates better (I think she likes the spiralized since they really compress down nicely for storing with our vacuum food saver).
We’ve had so many of the Matt’s Wild cherry tomatoes we have been just grabbing them by the bunch, stripping them from the vines and tossing into the food dehydrator trays.
Paula has canned approximately 20 pint jars of tomato ketchup using our Crimson Sprinter, Moskvich, and Pink Boar tomatoes. I have to note that the Pink Boar has a rich smokey taste that is to die for! Wow…I cannot believe how good of ketchup this makes. Paula gets definite gold-star for her efforts here. 🙂
The eggplants are the only disappointment for 2018; with the rabbit eating 4 of them off at the base before I was able to trap it and relocate to a nearby park. We really had lack luster performance. I think next year I’ll put these in a garden box with only our low growing plants like cabbage and broccoli. Having them mixed with our squash and sunflowers meant they had to fight for every scrap of sunshine, which meant all their efforts were spent trying to grow instead of setting fruit. Live and learn, next year we know to isolate them.
Hey everyone, we’ll it’s been a few weeks since I’ve updated the blog for our activities on the urban homestead. I was sick for a week and a half at the end of June with some kind of crazy summer cold (stuffed up head and coughing up flem…yuk). Since I haven’t put up a blog post in so long people might have thought I’d become…The Invisible Homesteader!! 🙂 Continue reading →
Hey hey! Just thought I’d put out our post for this weekends projects. First was finishing the pre-summer work for the farm truck. As mentioned in last weeks post I replaced the radiator, belts, and hoses. So we’re good for the hot weather of summer to prevent breakdowns. Now this weekend first task of the day will be to replace the body mount bushings. These are what mounts the body of the truck to the frame, so you have a cushion effect to isolate road bumps from the passengers. These usually last quite a few years and the ones on this truck are original (10 years old). At this point in my vehicles ownership (based on age) I start pro-actively replacing suspension and drivetrain components just to prevent on-road breakdowns. Some of these components might still have a few years worth of life left, but having something like a radiator, hose, belt, or even a ball joint blow out leaving you stranded sucks. It can also eat up a weekend figuring out how to get a vehicle home or towed to a repair shop if you’re out of town…then you could be out hundred (and possibly thousands) of dollars. Continue reading →