Hey Everyone, it’s been another busy weekend on the urban homestead. First things first, Paula and I had to pickup some supplies at the garden center (the organic garden soil in the photo is what we use for the indoor veggie grow operations):
With the supplies in hand and headed for home Paula and I formulated a plan…”Mr Mann you go out and do the dirty work and I’ll stay inside and make the Kefir and Kombucha…deal?”…”Yeas ma’am! That sounds good to me.”
So project number one was getting the new overhead watering system installed for the lower yard orchard-garden box area. Over the last 2 summers we’ve struggled keeping things watered, but this year that would be a thing of the past. So, to fix this I’ve installed special raised gear driven sprinkler heads that can water up to a 45′ radius around the corners of the lower yard area. Now besides having the driplines in the garden boxes we can do broad scale watering (on timers) over the entire area. This should help protect our lower yard Kiwi’s, strawberry patch, blackberries, and the new grapes from the summer heat where it is really intense in that part of the yard. Also, all the fruit trees and perennial berry bushes should see a growth and production boost being watered regularly (and not spot watered at random) throughout our dry summer months.
Next, was some cover crop chop-n-drop and wildflower seeding. The clover patch (or what will become the chicken pasture later this year :)) needed a chop since our pugs were using it as a place for ambush hid-n-seek. Now that I’ve cut it back to about 10 inches the new clover can begin to fill in some bare areas after the reseeding last weekend. With that done it was onto prepping the areas for some additional wildflowers. I normally just take my weed scrapper hoe and rough up an area, spread the seed, and use my feet to give um a press into the soil. The seed I’ve had the most luck with for wild flowers is from American Meadows; I’ve used their wildflowers for a few years and they are about the best (and most reasonably priced) mix that doesn’t use a lot of those “fillers” of inert media in their seed. So in otherwords…your getting the seed you pay for. 🙂
Indoors it was time to seed some additional flats of lettuce and get more of the outdoor garden starts spread around the large grow tent. We’ve even got some of our zucchini setting fruit! So all of these garden starts will be moving outdoors next weekend to start the hardening off/planting preparations.
Well, I better get this wrapped up as I’ve still got to post this weeks videos up to our Youtube channel; have a peek and see how things are progressing on our little piece of urban paradise. 🙂
PnB Homesteading Youtube Channel
In parting, here’s some photos of the backyard as we end our first week of May, have a great upcoming week everyone!