Hey Everyone, Brian here with a quick blog post.
With fall harvest fast approaching on our little urban homestead it’s that time again where our minds begins to wander in thinking about next springs plantings…I know crazy right! But late summer evenings sitting on our back deck Paula and I enjoy envisioning where we’ll be adding new wild flower islands, perennial bushes, etc….
So some of the ideas for the fall 2017/spring 2018 plantings:
- Removing much of this years soil repairing clover and replacing with wild flower islands
- Islands of red currant bushes and variegated weigala
- Transplanting blueberry bushes from the front yard to a new blueberry island
- Purchasing wildflower seed mixes
- Purchasing lettuce/microgreen mixes for indoor grow operation
- Producing more Youtube videos 🙂
- Biggest new thing for the urban homestead…chickens!
So that last bullet point is the most exciting to me (Brian) for things to add in 2018 because it’s the one thing I’ve wanted to have since getting back into gardening/homesteading at our home. It takes me back to when I was a kid at my grandparents farm going out in the morning and collecting fresh eggs. So, this spring I’ll start building our chicken house under our deck and creating an enclosed run. There’s already a 10’x10′ covered area from our kitchen overhang, but I’ll also be adding plastic panels under the deck to create a large 40’x 20′ dry run area for them to roam. Then I’ll be adding a chicken door to let them out of their fenced in (and secure) area to roam our former lawn area (that is now a clover patch) to get our into the sun using electro-netting (like I’ve seen used by Justin Rhodes on his Youtube channel (Justin Rhodes).
We’ll it’s time to wrap this blog post up and head under the house to do some microgreens harvesting and seeding 2 new trays of greens from the seeds I just received from HighMowingSeed.
Bye everyone! 🙂