Hey Everyone, I worked on a few projects this weekend: a few new bean hutches, harvesting worm compost, reworking the layout of the salad bar led grow/harvest area, and the continued bathroom remodel.
The new bean hutch ideas are something I came up with at the end of the season last year, but wanted to wait until it was closer to this years spring season. We’ll that lasted until this weekend when the sun popped out and we had a seasonably warm day in the low-mid 50s…Mr Green Jeans came out and I was itching to get out in the soil! 🙂
Here’s a link to the Youtube video for the project:
By having a plant heater strapped to the outside of our worm composter it really keeps them working. This means a regular load of black gold is coming out every few weeks that needs to be used. The use this time was inside the new salad bar led trays as part of the deep soil mixture for the permanent chard bed that will reside there. Checkout the new setup in the latest Youtube video:
The final project task for this weekend was more work inside for the bathroom remodel. I’ve finished running all the new electrical for the bathroom fans, new lighting fixtures and the two ceiling vent fans (one over the shower and tub area for venting steam…the other is on the far side of the bathroom over the toilet area, so there is a vent that will clear out the “gas” of someone using the bathroom (this is a long bathroom and having one vent fan could be embarrassing for stinky #2 events). 🙂
We’ll the second week of 2018 is already done…soon it will be time for starting the spring garden plants in the indoor grow tents. Love this time of year planning our summer gardens. Have a great week everyone. 🙂
Hi Everyone, it’s 2018! Can you believe it? Time is moving faster and faster as I age, so there is no time like the present to get things done. This last week of vacation was spent finishing up some work down in the bathroom we’re remodeling (re-working the electrical for the new locations of switches and outlets).
After completing the indoor work it was time to move outside and cleanup broken branches from trees surrounding our backyard after the ice/snow storm from Christmas day (nothing fell into the fruit trees so that was good), but our green stripe bamboo by our lower deck lost a number of the 2 inch diameter 30ft canes. That’s ok, I needed some of these larger canes for this springs project at the new stair-step garden boxes. 🙂
As part of this cleanup I trimmed all of our fruit trees (general shaping and thinning). We’ve also started the shaping of one of the full size pears into an espalier with horizontal branches. I’ve wanted to do something like this for a while to see how it turns out as far as earlier fruit production (this is like the french method of forced limb drooping so the tree thinks its reached optimal height and the limbs are ready to start baring fruit).
Well keep this update short as I need to finish getting the Youtube videos up (PnB Homesteading Youtube Channel) and get things packed up for the return to work after a relaxing few weeks at home with Paula.
Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of posting a blog recently; things were pretty busy around here with fall arriving. From raking leaves into the garden beds and around the berry bushes (never waste free mulch :)) to cleaning out the gutters a number of times no spare minute was wasted. Here’s a list of things we finished over the last two weekends:
New indoor herb plantings
Addition to the automated watering system for indoor grow tent
Cleaning gutters and the yard
Installing new drip tray systems into the midsize grow tent as well as the salad bar led area
Updating the hard drive in our security system server
Feeding the worms
We’ll skip the details for these as Paula and I are preparing for our 7 day trip…to beautiful Maui! 🙂
Talk to you again once we return rejuvenated from the Hawaiian sun.